Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pecking order

It's Easter Sunday, and we're home now after a pretty good morning. We woke up and made it to church - I won't say on time - but in pretty good time. It was packed today as was expected, and we ended up taking a seat in the back corner. Jude did pretty well throughout service, but on occasion had to be taken outside to regain his composure.

I think I know how Amanda's brother-in-law Chad feels now when he's at church. I must have walked in and out of the worship room 3-5 times just to get Jude to quiet down. Needless to say, I didn't hear much of the pastor's message.

So we made it home and were ready for our typical Sunday afternoon routine. I went for a run with Pacey and Molly (the neighbor's dog) and Amanda headed for the couch with Jude for a nap. I'll give her this - she deserves every nap she can get nowadays. Sleeping two hours at a clip can't be easy, especially for someone who loves her sleep as much as my dearest.

After our run, Pacey and I took a shower and eventually made it down to the living room couch. They say there's nothing like spending time with one's familial unit. Bonding, I'm there! Pacey was begging to get up on the couch with us. With Amanda, Jude and myself already comfortable, where is she going to fit? We told her, "Sorry Pacey, baby Jude took your spot. There's no room for you Pacey!"

A few minutes went by and my wife thinks it's more important for her to take a nap on the couch than for me to sit next to her while I blog and watch the NCAA tournament. If she goes upstairs to nap, she says, she's going to wake up Jude in the process. It's too cold upstairs (under the blankets?!)

I'm thinking, "Whatever," but I say, "OK, I'm good with that." She wants to lay down on the full length couch to stretch out, so I moved the laptop and my beverage and set up over by the chair in the corner. After a while, I started to feel hungry, so I pulled some leftovers out to heat up for a quick afternoon snack.

While I'm in the kitchen, I hear Pacey get up on the couch. I'm thinking that only in the land of opposites would a man's dog have priority over his owner, but alas, I'm wrong. I've got to be at about 1000 words by now, and they say that's about what a picture is worth. See for yourself:


No comments: