Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Can't edit Windows Contacts in Vista

My parents visited us this past week, and as it usually happens, my mom gives me the opportunity to tune up her computer. This time was nothing more than usual and ended up the usual way - various adware that somehow installed itself had to be uninstalled and several program configurations needed tweaking.

One that I got stuck on was with Windows Vista Contacts. I'm used to working with Microsoft Outlook and Windows XP and not as much with Vista. Vista has contacts built into the user profile. Even if you have Outlook installed, you can choose to use Windows Contacts instead.

On a side note, as of late, I've become very frustrated with Vista. It all stems from "Windows Vista compatible" Acer laptop we bought on Black Friday, 2006. Capable is the operative term here . . .we've had so many problems with it. From outdated and incompatible drivers to OS crashes due to insufficient memory, this laptop is SO Vista incapable! I found out just recently that there is a class action law suit that's been approved against Microsoft, Acer and other OEMs on this very issue.

OK, back on topic. It was time for my mom to finally, fully convert her email over to a web-based solution. The spam filters that Gmail has are so much better than what her local ISP offers, meta tagging beats folders hands down, and the thought of a hard disk crash is one less worry with web-based email.

So the real point of this post is to share that, for those who have suffered with me in trying to edit, import or export Windows Contacts, there is an answer! The root of the problem has to do with wab32.dll and wab32res.dll, Outlook files that aren't compatible with Vista. In short, removing these files fixes the problem. I won't bother to explain the solution in detail because it is well documented at vistax64.com. Renaming these files allowed me to export her contacts to a csv file and then upload them to Gmail.

Importing her email was the other issue. I couldn't figure out how to export from Outlook 2000 to Google. It might have had something to do with Outlook's incompatibility with Vista. I didn't go there. Using Mozilla Thunderbird and Google's instructions made for a time consuming but easy transfer.

No comments: