Sunday, February 24, 2008

That's what we're paying the nurses for!

Amanda and I wanted to bond with little Jude his first night in this world. As she told me later, she had just fed Jude and laid down to sleep with him on her chest. After some time, she started to smell his diaper. Ever heard of meconium (see right)?!

So it's like 3 in the morning or something like that, and I'm over in the pull-out chair/couch thing getting some decent Zzz's and I woke me to Amanda sitting up in bed with Jude trying to change his diaper. I don't even remember if she was asking for help or if it was Jude crying or something else.

If anyone knows me, I can fall asleep in less time than it takes someone to tie their shoe, and I sleep so deep I miss most evening thunderstorms. I was like, what are you waking me up for? And why are you changing his diaper?! That's what we're paying the hospital for!!! If' we're going to do it this way, let's go home!

Our friends had warned us that being in the hospital would be a refuge for soon-to-be sleep-deprived parents. In the moment, my guess is that she was a big frustrated with me . After laboring all night Friday night, she was already sleep-deprived.

Did I mention that I'm one astute fella? We did have a pretty good laugh about it this morning though . . .

No comments: